Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Artist, Fr. Bill Moore--Helping Us Find the Spiritual Through the Physical World



Today, January 6, is the Feast of Epiphany. The word "Epiphany" comes from the Greek word "Koine" meaningappearance or manifestation. As Christians, that appearance or manifestation of God is Christ Jesus. When I ask myself how God reveals that presence to me, I can think of many ways. The other question is how do I reveal Christ's presence to others.

There was an article the other day in a daily email I receive on Christian news about a Catholic priest whose mission was to be an abstract painter. I quickly scanned the short article and bookmarked it to research later, which is something I often do. Sometimes I get back to it and other times I do not, but this one has stayed on my mind since I read it. I wanted to know how this priest "justified" his work and why the Church lets him do it.

The priest's name is Fr. Bill Moore and the article is from the Associated Press, so it is available to view on many links. Here is a Yahoo News link: Artist priest finds God in abstract expressionism. In the article, it states:

"His job is to serve God by painting whatever comes to mind."

"That's Bill's gift, his talent, and we have to support that," says Father Donal McCarthy, who is the order's West Coast provincial and Moore's superior. "When you've got a creative person, you shouldn't stifle that creativity."

I found another article about Fr. Moore's work that held particular significance to me. The article is from the website of the Eleonore Austerer Gallery located in Palm Desert, California. The author says:

"His art expresses love for the physical world, which he believes can link us to the spiritual realms."


Dictionary.com defines the word "epiphany" as "a literary work or section of a work presenting, usually symbolically, such a moment of revelation and insight."

I think these articles about Fr. Bill Moore's art qualify as a sort of epiphany for me. I pray that my work can offer another way God reveals himself to you and me through our physical senses.

No comments: