Sunday, February 21, 2010

Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott


A few years ago I had an emergency appendectomy and a friend of mine who is also a nurse brought me this book the morning after surgery.

I had gone into the emergency room the afternoon before thinking I was having another one of my "wonderful" panic attacks, but my very perceptive doctor knew that it was more than that. Thank God!

Since then, I have asked him how he knew that it was not just one of my recurrent panic attacks. He said that the fact that I had a friend bring me in was his first clue. My explanation that I had blacked out was his second. No doubt, I was having a panic attack but what precipitated it was actually real, physical pain--so much pain that it caused me to black out. (That is was his explanation, but I know the Holy Spirit was working through him too.)

I think the Holy Spirit was also working through my friend, Mary the nurse, who brought me the book, because it was just what I needed.

Anne Lamott is a very witty writer whose words cannot help bring a chuckle to your soul. As with all of her books, I find myself relating to something she says and laughing because I cannot believe she actually put it on paper!

You can read the reviews, and if you are in need of a good laugh, read this one.


No comments: